October 28, 2014

Review: Blackbird by Anna Carey


Title: Blackbird (Blackbird Duology #1)
Author: Anna Carey 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: September 16th 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Format: eARC

Rating: 3/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository
This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her.

On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined.

The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists.

Blackbird is a book that was waiting to read since I read the synopsis, because I am intrigued by stories dealing with memory loss and the mystery around it trying to out whom she really is.

The story starts when a girl wakes up in the subway tracks and the train car approaching her and she has to make a quick decision and somehow she survives and is rescued, when questioned, she realizes that she has no memory, doesn´t remember anything about herself and when searching through the backpack beside her, she finds some instructions to follow, so without knowing she ends up being chased by both the police and from unknown people trying to kill her ... but she has not the slightest idea of ​​what is going on, she finds help with a boy that she meets that first day, meanwhile  she tries to figure out what's going on with her and who she really is.

Sunny (is the name she adopts) is a girl who knows nothing about her past, but she's smart, knows how to blend, is observant and is slowly discovering new things about her. Her situation reminded me a bit of Jason Bourne (first movie, I haven´t read the books).

The story is told in second person (using "You"), something that annoyed me most of the time and it wasn´t easy to get used to this form of narration,

Blackbird is the first book of this duology, is a story about a girl with amnesia that is wanted by the police and pursued by people who want her dead, so it has enough action, chases, mystery, intrigue, suspense and a rather unexpected turn (I didn´t see it coming), has a good ending that leaves you hooked for the next book. My only "but" is the narrative in second person, but I sort of enjoyed it.

7 comments:

  1. I've only ever read one book with this type of narration: Stolen by Lucy Christopher. It's written to the MC's kidnapper. I thought it worked well, but I guess it depends on the story line.

    I haven't had great success with Carey's books, so this is not really on my radar. Glad you enjoyed it…sort of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is too bad that the narrative ruined this one for you in certain ways. I do have this on my shelf so I guess I shall see if I like it or not.
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to the rest of this book. I am about halfway through it, and I have enjoyed it. But I am hoping that the pace picks up, because I do find myself getting a little bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks creepy and great for halloween!! I do hate narrative problems though.
    Brittersweet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm mostly intrigued about this book for the second person narrative myself, because it's so seldomly used and seems like quite a risk from the author, too bad that it mostly irritated you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, seeing as this in second person I doubt I will pick it up because I rarely enjoy those kind of stories. Maybe when I am feeling more like experimenting in my reading :3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about the "turn" that the story took. I thought the second person thing was pretty interesting once I got used to it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete