October 27, 2017

Review: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas


Title: Dangerous Girls
Author: Abigail Haas
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release date: July 16th 2013

Rating: 5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository
It's Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off on a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives. But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations.

As Anna sets out to find her friend's killer, she discovers hard truths about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.

As she awaits the judge's decree, it becomes clear that everyone around her thinks she is not just guilty, but dangerous. When the truth comes out, it is more shocking than one could ever imagine...

Dangerous Girls had been in my kindle for a long time, I do not remember where I saw it first, but it caught my eye because it´s a YA murder mystery, but before I start reading it, I did not read the blurb, so I started reading it without any idea what it was about and it really surprised me. From the first page it hooked me (this is another book that I read very fast).

Without going into much detail, because as in all thrillers the less you know the better. the story is about Anna a young woman whom on her spring break vacation goes with a group of friends to Aruba and in the group is her best friend Elise and her boyfriend Tate. And these group of friends go with the idea of ​​having fun without restrictions, so there are alcohol, drugs and sexual encounters with strangers and more, but the fun stops abruptly when Elise is killed and Anna is the main suspect of her murder. So Anna is in another country, where the law is different and where she seems to be the scapegoat of a highly publicized case.

Anna's group of friends is made up of privileged children, whom are children of politicians, bankers, CEOs, etc. and Anna is a new-rich, so she´s new to their world, so her family is not as powerful as that of her friends.

The story reminds me of those murder mystery films, where everyone could have a motive to murder Elise, both her friends and people they meet on the island and I came to doubt many and had several of my suspects. The book begins with murder and little by little there are leaps in the plot between the present and the past, all seen from Anna's point of view, where we see the dynamics of the group and how it was Elise with her friends.

I loved Dangerous Girls! is a dark story about teenagers without limits, but the main plot is the murder mystery and the highly publicized trial against Anna. I have no idea whether the trial is realistic or not, but it seemed that the prosecutor distort the facts to make Anna look guilty.

I highly recommend it, it's mind-blowing, but keep in mind that there are strong themes, so I recommend it for mature YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment