February 8, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West


Title: Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: February 12th 2013
Source: Edelweiss
Format: egalley

Rating: 5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

Pivot Point is an extraordinary book, is perfect, it exceeded all my expectations, I read this book for the first time late last year and is on my list of favorite books I´ve read in 2012. In fact I liked it so much that I read it again once more this year and a third time only my favorite parts, just to give you an idea of ​​how much I loved it, since I rarely read a book more than once.

This book's main character Addie Coleman is a girl living in a paranormal compound, her best friend can erase the memory, her mother can influence people and her father can detect lies and Addie has the "power" to see only her future when she must make a decision and thus to choose the best future. So when her parents surprise her with the news of their divorce, they ask to look in the future and choose which parent she wants to live with: her mother which she doesn´t get along but she can stay in the complex and be with her best friend or go to live with her father with whom she does gets along very well but she would have to leave the compound and moving to the "normal" world. And that is why Addie seeks her power her two possible futures: her future in the paranormal compound, where stays with her mother, her best friend and she begins to date Duke, the most wanted guy from high school, and her future in the "normal" world, where she lives with her father, she goes to a "normal" high school and meets Trevor (♥), a boy who befriends her and helps her to adjust to the normal world.

The book is told from Addie´s POV with alternate chapters for her two possible futures: her "paranormal" future and "normal" future, so once I got to that point I couldn´t stop reading because each chapter left me intrigued and wanting to know more, the book is fast-paced, the plot is very original, with great and likeable main characters, especially Addie she has really funny moments and of course I loved Trevor (♥). I also loved how the two possible futures intersect at some point in the story and Addie is in the same place but in a different situation.

This book is a bit complicated to explain, without giving to much spoilers but I highly recommended it. Pivot Point is definitely a must read! it has a very original story (although it reminded me a bit of the movie Sliding Doors), is funny, with a bit of mystery and of course romance and although there are two boys in the story there is no love triangle. I'm dying to read the next book in the series.

I want to thank HarperTeen and edelweiss for this review copy.

13 comments:

  1. Your review makes me interested in reading this book and I already added this book to my want to read list in Goodreads. But when I found out that this is a part of series it kinda turns me off. Don't you think there are too much series nowadays? I'm just a bit exhausted in waiting for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review sold me! I'm adding this to my TBR pile after I finish this comment. Thank you for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting review, I've definitely been looking forward to reading this one, but hopefully it's not too over complicated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen Sliding Doors but I would love to read this. Trevor sounds hot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review, I was somewhat hesitant about this one at first but it's really been getting a great reception so far. I love that it exceeded your expectations too - isn't that the best feeling?! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been waiting on this one since I read the first blurb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this book. It is on my absolutely must have asap book list. There is just something about it. And the cover is FABULOUS! I can't wait. Seriously. I love the idea behind the story. I love that in the reviews I have read, people have been so positive about the characters. I think this could be a perfect book for me. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I am getting more and more anxious for this book the more I hear about it! Thanks for this :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first saw the list of new releases and I saw the cover I thought, "Hm....not interested." and continued to scroll down. But, after paying more attention and actually reading the synopsis and some reviews (like yours), my tune is being changed!
    Thanks for being apart of this sweet hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, this book looks so good! Definitely on top of my list right now. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of being able to see possible outcomes! I was curious about this book so am glad to read how much you liked it! The movie Sliding Doors was great so anything that is similar sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it sound good .. i would read that book

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good review! I just got this book from the library and I am glad that I made a good choice. <3

    ReplyDelete