November 19, 2013

Review: Countdown by Michelle Rowen


Title: Countdown
Author: Michelle Rowen
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release date: October 1st 2013
Source: Netgalley
Format: egalley

Rating: 3/5

Buy on: Amazon | B&N | BookDepository
3 seconds left to live. Once the countdown starts, it cannot be stopped.

2 pawns thrown into a brutal underground reality game.

Kira Jordan survived her family's murder and months on plague-devastated city streets with hard-won savvy and a low-level psi ability. She figures she can handle anything. Until she wakes up in a barren room, chained next to the notorious Rogan Ellis.

1 reason Kira will never, ever trust Rogan. Even though both their lives depend on it.

Their every move is controlled and televised for a vicious exclusive audience. And as Kira's psi skill unexpectedly grows and Rogan's secrets prove evermore deadly, Kira's only chance of survival is to risk trusting him as much as her instincts. Even if that means running head-on into the one trap she can't escape.

GAME OVER

Countdown is a book I was eager to read because I've read other books by Michelle Rowen and I liked them, even though the idea of this book is not original and it reminded me of several movies with this topic but it is definitely an interesting read.

Countdown tells the story of  Kira a 16 year-old girl that wakes up handcuffed in a dark room and while trying to figure out what's going realizes that she isn´t alone, because there is someone else in the room and he´s also handcuffed to wall. Soon afterward she learns that she has been "recruited " to join an underground game called Countdown, which is broadcast and it has several levels and she will receive several tasks that she need to complete along with a partner named Rogan, which is a murderer, in a time designated and if they fail to complete the task, they will be "eliminated" via implants that they have in their heads.

Overall, the plot is fast-paced, with lots of action, with likable characters, some romance and has elements that I really didn´t expect to see in this book, such as artificial intelligence, a little paranormal. It has a scene near the end that really annoyed me because it is the classic scene where the hero and the villain talk and talk and talk and do nothing. But aside from that detail, I enjoyed reading it. This is a new addition to the sub-genre post-apocalyptic/dystopic.

I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

15 comments:

  1. I've been seeing several bad reviews for this one. It's good to see that you somewhat enjoyed it. It does seem like a promising read, and I do hope to get to it in the future!

    - Christie @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apocalyptic and dystopian books and there are a lot to choose from. I'm a little wary of this. You said there is romance and I'm afraid it might be insta-love. Not a fan of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by the author before. And Countdown sounds like a promising start with her. It doesn't sound perfect, but it sounds like it has enough action and paranormal elements to keep me interested. I think I would read it if I had the chance. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one before. Sounds interesting and if it isn't part of a series, even better. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really really loved this book! I know what you mean about that scene though, it was kinda lame but I didn't mind it. I definitely need to check out Michelle Rowen's other books. I didn't even know she had others until now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really curious about this book when I saw it on NetGally, but I haven'r heard about it before. Sounds good but not awesome.
    Thanks for the review. I'll check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't read this book yet. Im afraid I won't like it because I've read several bad reviews about this. But I'll try to read it, who knows, I might like it. Thank you for sharing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. There're a lot of apocalyptic and dystopian books out there at the moment, so it's sometimes hard to choose which one to read. I must admit, I haven't heard about this one, but I'm willing to give it a try after reading your review, it sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for a review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never read anything by Michelle Rowen but this sounds good. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very rarely read post-apocalyptic/dystopian books,but this book sounds good :)
    Maybe I will give a try :)

    Very nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is new to me but it certainly looks interesting enough to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its hard knowing what's good and what's not with dystopians nowadays ):

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, the dystopian genre has so many unexplored areas. So sad to see this taken from other areas. This one is still on my TBR though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've wanted this book for so lone! I'm definitely going to have to try it even though you had a few issues with it. Donna @ BookPForLife

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right, this premise is a bit overdone recently. I might read this one, but it's not going to the top of my to-read list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete