September 5, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill


Title: All Our Yesterdays (Cassandra Chronicles #1)
Author: Cristin Terrill 
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Release date:September 3rd 2013
Source: Netgalley
Format: egalley

Rating: 5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository
"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

All Our Yesterdays is one of the best books I've read this year, it´s very well written and the story got me hooked from the start and I really could not stop reading this wonderful book. I haven´t read many books about time travel, but the plot is great, I was sufficiently intrigued to want to know more about the story.

The story is told from the point of view of Em , she is a girl who at the beginning of the book is trapped in a military base, she´s been tortured and her captors want to know where did she hid the stolen documents and she refuses because there aren´t guaranties that they´re going to let her live after they´ve what they want. And mean while in the next room is Finn, her partner and friend, they were captured together and he´s captive for the same reason that Em. For months Em has been obsessed with a drain and when she finally open it  she finds a list written by her in which there is a list of things that she has already done to try to change the past and that only one option left ... is that she has to kill him. So with those instructions Em and Finn manage to escape and travel to the past determined to kill "him", because it is their only option to have a different future.

And on the other hand we have Marina´s POV, she´s a girl living four years before Em´s time (or the present ) and she´s in love with her best friend James and she has finally decided to confess her feelings, but before this happen something happened that change their life and she gets dragged into a situation for which she wasn´t ready but she is willing to do anything to help James.

And my favorite supporting characters is Finn, he´s the love interest and best friend of Em, he strongly supports their mission to assassinate the "doctor ", who is the villain of the story. Finn is a easy to love character, he likes to joke to lighten the mood and is very supportive of Em.

Overall, All Our Yesterdays is an action packed novel with suspense, intrigue, betrayal, and a little bit of romance, with a bittersweet ending but it could not have ended any other way. The only detail that I find is that I thought that it was a standalone, but it seems that there will be a Duology, which at this moment I don´t see the point because the book ended very well, but I know that I´m going to reading it anyway. I highly recommend you read it, if you like time travel novels.

 I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Prologue - Webisode

24 comments:

  1. I love action packed novels but I'm not a huge fan of parallel worlds as well as cliche best friend romances. However everyone, including you and my sister, loved this book so much that you are convincing me to pick it up!

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I agree, I really thought this was standalone, especially with the ending. I thought it ended perfectly and almost wrote in my review that it is a great standalone until I saw on goodreads that it there will be another. I will be very interested in what will happen in the second book.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to read this book so bad but I didn't get approved for this one. Ahh well maybe I will read it when it comes out. New GFC Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of great things about this book. And it sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it. Great review by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to read this book! I've heard and read some really good reviews so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sound So cool! Im a big fan of time travel so I know ill love it:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's one of the best of the year I have to read it! High praises! :)

    Sabrina @ I Heart Y.A. Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to admit I am a cover gal and All Our Yesterdays drew me like a moth to the flame. I am so glad you enjoyed it, I have been itching to read it and can't wait. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! you rated this book 5 out of 5? It must be a very good novel then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds good. It seems it would easily keep one's interest and is full of so many different type of emotional stimulus.
    The characters sound very interesting. It also seems to be rather unique in its plot.
    I would love to win/read/review it on my site as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The parallel worlds bit is not to my taste really, but it'll be a shame if I leave such a good book as this. Loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review!! I'm so jealous... I have to read the book now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually the time travel isn't my thing. But yeah, I agree with you. This is a great novel.

    I don't think I'm gonna read the second book right away. For me, the ending is already perfect. So I'm gonna check some reviews first to see if the second book lives up to my hopes.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read a ton of time travel stories. I enjoy them sometimes, but sometimes they don't hit me the right way. This one, I am all in. I can't wait for it. It sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, this book sounds like it has everything I could want! I was excited about this before, but I haven't read too many reviews of it. Anyway, I'm so excited to read it now!

    Brynna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I let my friend borrow this book before I read it, but I think I'm going to be hounding her to get it back soon haha, it just seems so good! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hm, I been trying to decide weather I should read this book or not. My local library has a copy. I think I will. Thanks for a great review

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds like a great read! Glad you enjoyed it. I can hardly wait to read it myself at some point when I can buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds interesting :)
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was one of my all time favorite books. There were a few tiny minor things that bothered me here and there, but overall the story just blew me away - I even cried and I never cry while reading! Really great review, you summed it up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review, must read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow great review. I've heard a lot of good things about this book so i'll give this a try. I'll probably read this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never read any time travelling books but I absolutely adore the idea so it is possible I will pick it up! Thanks for the recommendation and great review! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. After reading this review I bought All Our Yesterdays online immediately. thanks!

    ReplyDelete