May 14, 2013

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1)
Author: Kelley Armstrong 
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: April 12th 2011

Rating: 4.5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository
Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

In The Gathering , New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy.

This is the second time I read this book and I didn´t really remember many details about it, so it was good to read it again. The Gathering is the spin-off of Darkest Powers, a trilogy that I loved! . This new trilogy takes place in the same world as her adult series Women of the Otherworld (this series has different characters than the YA trilogies. The main characters of the adult series have not crossed paths with the characters from Ya trilogies).

The Gathering takes place months after the end of The Reckoning and the main character is Maya, a girl who lives on Vancouver Island, in a tiny town called Salmon Creek with a population of less than 200 inhabitants, this village is a medical research complex, where all adults work for the St.Cloud company. The employees and their families have the best of the best, the best education in a private school, the best medical care, the best entertainment facilities, etc., so that everyone is happy in the town, until an alleged reporter starts appearing everywhere and investigates Maya and her friends.

The book is told from the point of view of Maya, she is very sarcastic, strong, confident, smart leader and she loves her adoptive parents. Her romantic interest is Rafe, a mysterious guy, he is new in town and have a bad reputation. And finally we have Maya´s best friend, Daniel which has been her friend since they were five years-old, as Maya he is strong, a natural leader, intelligent and support her completely (for once I would like the protagonist end up with her best friend).

I really liked this book and I may a bit biased in this new trilogy, because I love the "world" where the story unfolds and I particularly like the background where the plot unfolds .... Vancouver Island , surrounded by nature, mountain lions (cougars). The Gathering is a good first book in a trilogy, but ultimately leaves you with many questions about the powers of Maya's friends.

Book trailer

Book trailer 
(Canada)

9 comments:

  1. Cool review. I love The Gathering; Kelley Armstrong books are good paranormal reads. I haven't seen the Canadian Trailer before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read either series, but I love how it's set in a creepy town and the main character has to figure out her past and family:)

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome trailer. I love this series kelley is one of my favorite authors! Great review! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read either series but I think that I should after reading your review. This sounds like a very interesting read and I am adding this to my TBR list. Thank you for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I do believe that I should start with the Darkest Powers trilogy so that I know some things going in. It sounds like there are enough questions left unanswered! And I wish that my birthmark was cool, like a paw print, instead of a blob

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this one yet, but I've read the 1st book and I had mixed feelings about it. I guess I couldn't help comparing it to the previous series which this felt flat against with that's why I couldn't enjoy it that much. I might have to read more reviews before I decide whether to read this or not. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me wanna read it~! Its intriguing, in a good way. I like that. And you seem to enjoy it so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this book since it came out and still haven't read it! I should pick it up soon!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I enjoyed this one, although I'm yet to read the rest. And yeah, I loved the setting, too :)

    ReplyDelete