May 25, 2013

This Girl by Colleen Hoover

Title: This Girl (Slammed #3)
Author: Colleen Hoover 
Publisher: Atria Books
Release date: April 30th 2013 (ebook)
                     August 13th 2013 (paperback)
Source: Netgalley
Format: egalley
Reading level: Ages 18 and up

Rating: / 5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository

You can read my review of Slammed - here & Point of Retreat - here
There are two sides to every love story. Now hear Will’s.

Colleen Hoover’s New York Times bestselling Slammed series has brought countless readers to their knees with a whirlwind of love, passion, and heartache.

Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from his point of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.

This Girl starts off exactly right where Point of Retreat left off, Will and Layken have overcome the drama, misunderstandings and doubts, so now they are finally together, Layken wants to reminiscent their firsts, the first time they meet, their first date, their first kiss and part of the drama that happened in the first few months after they learned that they could not be together because of Will´s work. Most of the book is about what happened in Slammed told from Will´s POV, So that the plot alternates between past and present.

I read Slammed in September last year and I didn´t remember all the details, I really like to relive the key moments of the first book in this trilogy and also find out some things that happened at that time and Layken didn´t know... There were also sad times in which Will remembers his parents (I don´t remember if this was on Slammed).
The only thing that can break the unbreakable is the unthinkable.
And hilarious moments involving Kel and Caulder (Layken´s and Will´s little brothers respectively), especially Kel, this boy is so funny... and also there is a particularly funny moment with Kiersten, this girl is just so blunt. My only problem is that I wanted to read more about this lovable characters.

This Girl is a book that I really loved, It isn´t as repetitive as I though it would be, because there were many new moments, that I didn´t  read on Slammed and that allowed me to see what Will was thinking and felt since the first moment he meet Layken and also there are new slam poems. And what I loved the most is the epilogue, is a perfect ending to this wonderful trilogy; that is among my favorites.

I received an eARC of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review.

9 comments:

  1. I only skimmed your review, as I plan to read the first book soon, but I'm glad to see that you thought this was a great end to the trilogy. I can't wait to get started on it. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool review. This isn't one of my favorite Hoover books but I like how the story connects. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read countless reviews for the first and second books in this series, but I have not yet read it. I am not sure why nothing has clicked for me with it yet. Until now. Now I think it finally clicked. And I think it is because of this one being from the males perspective. I think it is time that I finally give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. The new revelations about Gavin and the how Julia still manages to affect their lives was just absolutely wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...never heard of this series before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so curious about this series. At first, I wasn't interested, but I've only been hearing raves so now it's on my list.

    I usually enjoy books written in alternative viewpoints but it would be interesting to read a re-hashing of past events from a male POV. I imagine it would be nostalgic and would allow the reader to re-visit favorite characters. Also, getting another perspective on events can be an eye-opener.

    Different people can have such diverse feelings/memories of the same event. I saw a movie once(can't recall the name) where a guy and a girl go on their first date. Their thoughts and/or feelings of the evening are 180 degrees apart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review, I've read the first two and loved them. Glad to know it's not to repetitive, i'll definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read Slammed first, sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read so many great reviews about the books of Colleen Hoover but I've never read any of them. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete